01. Don Preston – Analog Heaven #4 [Sub Rosa. 2012]
02. Conrad Schnitzler – Endtime Part 19 [M=Minimal, 2012]
03. Nate Young – Cast A Circle [NNA Tapes, 2011]
04. Headboggle – Ambientemusique
05. Chris Watson – El Divisadero [Touch, 2011]
06. Motion Sickness Of Time Travel – The Center [Spectrum Spools, 2012]
07. Mark Van Hoen – Holy Me [Editions Mego, 2012]
08. R/S – Chicago II [Pan, 2011]
09. Ben Vida – Zizzlerz [Pan, 2012]
10. Pete Um – Mortal Song [Grist, 2012]
11. King C – Cocaine Safari [Vandalizm, 2011]
12. Shackleton – Seven Present Tenses [Woe To The Septic Heart!, 2012]
13. Sensate Focus – Untitled [Sensate Focus, 2012]
14. Transportation AAD – Last Train To Lexington [Darkestral Recordings, 2011]
15. NHK’Koyxeи – 638+ [Pan, 2012]
16. Carter Tutti Void – V4 [Mute, 2012]
17. Mordant Music – Post-MorteM [Mordant Music, 2012]
18. Vatican Shadow – Shooter In Same Uniform As The Soldiers [Type, 2012]
“Secret Thirteen Mix 024” is a sublime musical compilation, recorded live only from vinyls that were recently released by some notable artists such as Chris Watson, Mark Van Hoen, NHK, Vatican Shadow amongst the other dexterous talents.
The author of the mix is an experimental electronic music artist Nick Edwards (born 1969), widely known as Ekoplekz who lives and works in Bristol, England. Started to explore sound in the late 80′s by using primitive hardware-based audio studio environment, direct to four-track cassette, Edward hasn’t lost his creativeness principles till these days. In the early 90′s Edward has released a couple records and suddenly disappeared from the underground scene. He successfully came back after a decade as a prolific music blogger Gutterbreakz (active 2003-2009). In 2010 Edward returned as a musician and live performer, even formed a few musical projects like EKOCLEF. In short active period as Ekoplekz, Edward has released a solid amount of records and cassettes on various labels including Punch Drunk, Mordant Music, Further Records, Public Information, Perc Trax and Plant Migration. Edward’s formative influences range from early electronics and radiophonics to 70′s dub, industrial and krautrock, newer forms of leftfield dance music and the post-noise experimental vanguard. Regularly performing live improvisational music in the UK and Europe, Edward is becoming one of the mysterious persons in the intellectual scene. His latest release double cassette “Skalectrikz” for Mordant Music clearly shows Edward’s musical ideology, also he’s got a very promising forthcoming album (on September) on the respectful Editions Mego label.
“Secret Thirteen Mix 024” is a fundamental musical compilation that consists of 18 fateful records. The basis of the mix can be splited into two parts. First part is beatless and stands on the extensive atmospheres that are weaved with mesmerizing field recordings, avant-garde fragment sounds. Its developing is more cinematic than a casual radio playlist. In the second part rhythmical structures progressively blend in the vintage electronic melodious background till the wholeness connects into a robust ending. Motives of abstract, ambient, techno, house, experimental heard in the sequence create an authentic soundtrack which could be hardly explained by the genre. Author’s presence in the mixing process is more than transparent. Decision not to add any prepared audio effects and recording corrections creates liveliness listening experience. It is a mellow selection which doesn’t draw any specific theme, but reveals author’s long-matured musical vision by widely opening the doors of collected records library.
“Secret Thirteen Mix 024” is like a mystical Wassily Kandinsky’s abstract painting “Dark freshness” where figurative asymmetric lines shapes set up an enigmatic cosmic form that floats in zero gravity of infinite abyssal sphere.