“Secret Thirteen Mix 047” is a conceptually selected smoothly resonating audio compilation that gradually merges 11 exemplary contemporary music records by such original and authoritative composers as Alvin Lucier, Eliane Radigue, Bernard Parmegiani, Ivo Malec and other nowadays talents. It is an exciting collision between time-tested compositions and new masterworks that clearly show flexibility, endurance and meaningfulness.
The author of the mix is Chris Hobson, an Australian DJ, blogger and promoter, currently residing in Tokyo, Japan. Hobson was a co-founder of influential music blog MNML SSGS. A project active in 2007 – 2012 gained a global reputation for its diverse mix series and correct insights about the electronic music scene. During 2008-2010 Hobson lived in United Kingdom. In recent years he has been organizing MNML SSGS parties in Tokyo, also actively supporting Japanese techno community by generating significant connection between local and outside world music tendencies. As a DJ he mainly focuses on ambient, techno, abstract and experimental music styles. Hobson continues to develop MNML SSGS aesthetic by presenting original, solid and powerful music he believes should be observed.
His relationships with constant music knowledge, research, innovation and scene processes' management are directed to work on his upcoming online project, which is a secret at the moment. As a Albert Einstein once said “I never think of the future. It comes soon enough”, so let's be patient and will see.
“Secret Thirteen Mix 047” is an enigmatic music selection that shrouds the listener with sweeping shadow atmospheres and progressively growing tension. The basis stands on the static ambience, perishing extensive melodies and bizarre exploitation of electronic devices. Specifically programmed architectural structures and thoughtfully modulated sound particles are fused into a fascinating but also mysteriously reverberating and evolving sound world that uncovers the beauty of polished micro activity. Enriched with synthesized nature recordings, thrilling live instrumentation insertion and irregular oscillating deep tones, this accurately blended mix fully reveals authors' patience, perceptivity and obstinacy. It is a solid work which carries much more philosophical and emotional significance than technical characteristics.
“Secret Thirteen Mix 047” is like a delicate Mel Bochner's conceptual art print “Rules of Inference” where specific mathematical principles connect indeterminate and characteristic cosmology formula thus revealing its complex logic and certainty. Literally it is like a Friedrich Nietzsche's book "Thus Spoke Zarathustra".
01. Umberto Di Grazia - Ipnos (Solo) [Creel Pone, 2011] (originally recorded in 70's)
02. Klaus Ager - Sondern Die Sterne Sinds (2) [Creel Pone, 2011] (originally recorded in 1974/1976)
03. Alvin Lucier - The Wire II [Lovely Music, Ltd, 1992] (originally recorded in 1979)
04. Yann Geslin - Variations Didactiques [INA-GRM, 2004]
05. Eliane Radigue - Kailasha [Experimental Intermedia Foundation, 1998] (originally recorded in 1991)
06. Bernard Parmegiani - Violostries - Végétal [INA-GRM, 2003] (originally recorded in 1964)
07. Ivo Malec - Week-End [Éditions Salabert, 1989] (originally recorded in 1982)
08. Henrik N Björkk - Machine Elves Floating [Vicmod Records, 2012]
09. Robert Hampson – Signaux 2 [Editions Mego, 2012]
10. Mika Vainio / Kevin Drumm / Axel Dörner / Lucio Capece - II [Pan, 2012]
11. Bee Mask - Scanops [Room40, 2012]