The author of the mix is Ernestas Sadaunikas (b. 1984), a Lithuanian DJ, promoter and master chef based in London, United Kingdom. Sadaunikas has been building his musical identity under Ernestas Sadau and Dausa pseudonyms for over a decade now. Influenced by the early Autechre, Prodigy, Aphex Twin production and his parents’ vast record collection, which includes music ranging from The Doors to Donna Summer, Sadaunikas began a fruitful DJ career. Avoiding any stylistic frames he presents an eclectic DJ sets that vary between strict techno, smooth jazz, rock and various experimentations. Sadaunikas shared a stage with such honorable musicians as Fennesz, Murcof, Apparat, Peter Van Hoesen and many others. In 2006 he joined Lithuanian minimal techno community minimal.lt and became an active member of it. He is also a founder of “Sūpynės” (eng. “Swings”), one of the biggest electronic music festival in the Baltic States. However, later he left minimal.lt and started to focus more on his future projects. His newest imprint Digital Tsunami specializes in organising parties in London and publishing subtle dance music compilations. He is also a member of DJ duo Glark n Glark and sometimes selects music for fashion shows.
“Secret Thirteen Mix 107” is a delicate and varied music selection that mirrors its author’s daily intimate surroundings and reveals some of his favourite records that made an essential impact to him as an artist and as an individual. While compiling this mix Sadaunikas was influenced by femme fatales, mysticism, sex and, most important, his obsession with food making. This mix is also a reminiscence of his earlier selection “Cabernet Sauvignon” that was meant to be listened near a glass of noble red wine. In this mix Sadauninkas balances from subtly seductive emotions and happenings to surreal and gloomy moods. The development of the musical narrative is deliberate, patient and continuous. This smoothly shifting selection perfectly explores coherent connection among different music styles, periods and meanings behind the works. The mix contains 12 solid and high-quality records that were released between 1972 and 2012. Characteristic compositions by such respectable musicians as Jon Hassell, Coil, Autechre, African Head Charge, Alice Coltrane and others simply disconnect the listener from the shiny and hypocritical world and open a more scenic horizons deep in the subconsciousness. The controversial energy, strange passion, wisdom and various melancholia expressions that were transmitted from these professionally performed and qualitatively recorded tracks should inspire and leave no apathetic. Sadaunikas explains that this mix is his “one early morning’s expression of egoism that ended with an ejaculation”. Finally, it is like a specific Gilbert Hsiao’s abstract work “Slipstream” where elegant and unusual shape decorated with gradually transforming lines creates an artistic mirage that requires open imagination and art experience to fully absorb it.
01. John Lurie - What Do You Know About Music, You're Not A Lawyer [Capitol Records, 1987]
02. Joh Hassell, Gregg Arreguin, Jamie Muhoberac and Peter Freeman - Amsterdam Blue [Island Records, 2000]
03. Gustavo Santaolalla - Shake Rattle And Roll [Varese Sarabande, 2003]
04. Fennesz, Sakamoto - Aware [Touch, 2007]
05. Alice Coltrane - Turya & Ramakrishna [Ipulse!, 1970]
06. Deuter - Soham [Kuckuck, 1972]
07. Amon Düül II - Wie Der Wind Am Ende Einer Strasse [United Artists Records, 1973]
08. Tolouse Low Trax - Sa Eline [Karaoke Kalk, 2012]
09. Coil - Sex With Sun Ra (Part One - Saturnalia) [Treshold House, 2004]
10. Autechre - Rsdio [Warp Records, 1995]
11. African Head Charge vs Professor Stretch - Drums Of Defiance [On-U Sound, 1995]
12. Goat - Goatman [Rocket Recordings, 2012]