An enigmatic mix by Tropic Of Cancer merging 20 vinyl records that were released between 1981 and 2012.
“Secret Thirteen Mix 042” is a powerfully enchanting precious musical compilation that presents subtly thrilling records from such influential musicians as Chris & Cosey, Psychic TV, Christian Fennesz, Demdike Stare, Raime, Silent Servant, Horrid Red and other rising talents of refined underground scene.
The author of the mix is Camella Lobo, LA resident, who previously collaborated with Juan Mendez (widely known as Silent Servant) and now performs with Taylor Burch (from garage / lo-fi / goth formation Dva Damas). After intensively touring across the globe and releasing six critically acclaimed records on such noticeable labels as Downwards, Blackest Ever Black, Ghostly International, Mannequin and Sleeperhold, Lobo promptly achieved a worldwide recognition and respect among intellectual dark music listeners. We invite all of you to read more about Camella Lobo in this exclusive interview for Secret Thirteen journal.
“Secret Thirteen Mix 042” is an enigmatic audio formation shrouding 20 specific vinyl records that were released between 1981 and 2012 in essential alternative music countries like United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Italy and Belgium. This recording perfectly reflects permanent convulsions of nowadays sounding expression and returning original technological principles (basic hardware devices, guitars, lo-fi sound generating effects, drums etc.). Solid 80s new wave, synth pop, post-punk, industrial, ambient and experimental music styles and motives are clearly expressed, but in a more brilliant way of quality and perfection of construction. The basis of the mixtape stands on the cathedral ambiance, the sound of distorted and sharp electric guitars, drowned rhythmical layers and mesmerizing dirty vocals. Mixture of perceptible depressive emotions merged with nostalgic, frenetic and bewildered moods generates a feeling of fictional retro action-drama movie soundtrack flavored with horror motives. Occasionally emerging repetitive and touching melodies, unexpected eclectic records combinations strengthen recording with a kaleidoscopic diversity, natural recording process intention and the most important - constant listening excitement. This record definitely proves the polished musical philosophy, profound personality and flexibility of Camella Lobo.
“Secret Thirteen Mix 042” is like a mysteriously moving Jack Tworkov's abstract expressionistic painting “Related to Barrier” where the use of gestural brush strokes in flame-like color create an extradimensional space where good and evil collide thus revealing eternal rule of universe that observer will never know what is light, due to absence of darkness.
- Reveal Playlist
- 01. Philippe D'Aram - Bizarre Cult 2 [Finders Keepers Records, 2012 - UK]
02. Tor Lundvall - Drydock [Dais Records, 2012 - US]
03. Silent Servant - A Path Eternal [Hospital Productions, 2012 - US]
04. Raime - You Will Lift Your Frame Clear [Blackest Ever Black, 2011 - UK]
05. Rene Hell - Prize Mischief Hold [Type, 2010 - UK]
06. Kirin J Callinan - WIIW [Terrible Records, 2012 - US]
07. Dirty Beaches – God Speed [Night People, 2011 - US]
08. Collin Gorman Weiland - Discretion [NE, 2012]
09. Chris And Cosey - This Is Me [Rough Trade, 1981 - UK]
10. Six Six Seconds – Tearing Down Heaven [Downwards, 2012 - UK]
11. Pink Playground – Shes A Mask Of You [Electric Voice Records, 2012 - Canada]
12. Horrid Red - Heavy Night Of Eyes [Terrible Records, 2012 - US]
13. The Dreams - Seis Seis Seis Condor [Kill Shaman, 2011 - US]
14. White Hex - Holiday [Avant! Records, 2012 - Italy]
15. Moin – Elsie [Confessions, 2012 - UK]
16. Tropic Of Cancer - Wake The Night [Sleeperhold Publications, 2012 - Belgium]
17. Demdike Stare - Bardo Thodol [Modern Love, 2010 - UK]
18. Fennesz – Seven Stars [Touch, 2011 - UK]
19. Operating Theatre – Eighties Rampwalk [Finders Keepers Records, 2012 - UK] [originally recorded at RTÉ in 1981 for the Dave Fanning Show on 2FM] 20. Psychic TV - The Orchids [CBS, 1983 - UK]